Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Assurance

I am going thru a mentoring study with a friend of mine at work and the lesson for this week really hit home for me. The topic was about assurance of our salvation. That as believers in who Jesus Christ is and what He did for us we have peace about our future. I don't have to waste time worrying about where I will end up. How great is that?
The lesson brought to memory when I first accepted Christ. Dramatic is mild way to describe my experience. I was at a Methodist church camp at the age of 15. Long story short, I was growing throughout the week in my understanding of who this Jesus guy is, and what He did for me. On the final night of teaching and worship we were all led to this small island on the lake at this camp. We circled up on this island, each with our own candle. The night was fairly mild but for some reason there was fog on the surface of the water, maybe 2 or 3 feet high. As we sang worship songs on the island you felt a hush come in a wave over everyone as we noticed something coming to us in the water.
As it got closer, or actually as he got closer, it was obvious who he was. Then he started talking to us. I stood with tears streaming down my face. The person was dressed in a long white robe and looked like what I would imagine Jesus to look like. He had to be in a boat, but with the fog is looked as if he had walked up to us on the water. I can't tell you a word of what he said, but I had a profound understanding of what God did for us in His Son that night. There was no doubt that I needed to surrender myself to Him. I am so glad I did!
Jeff

No comments: