Sunday, April 5, 2009

Could you give me a tissue please?

I have known for quite some time that it doesn't take much for a sense of who God is to move me to tears. It can be listening to a christian song on the radio, deep thought during a quiet time or more often during a worship service. Today was no exception.
Our church service was very powerful and had me in tears about the whole time. We were asked to come in quietly and the lights were very dim setting the stage for a very reflective service of Jesus Christ and all He did for us. It is hard to describe what exactly goes on in my heart when the tears start rolling but I want to try and explain. Now I wished I had asked the guy sitting next to me for a Kleenex, he seemed to be in the same place that I am. Then I could ask him what is going on in his heart too. Anyway back to my description.
It starts with a profound realization that what I am hearing or seeing is the work of God. Not like something good that one can do for another, beyond that. Like looking at someone and just knowing that Jesus is at the core of who they are. That regardless of their circumstances they are going to turn it into praise to their creator. After I sense that God is at work my heart starts to expand, today to the point that it hurt. I was so in awe of what Jesus was willing to do for me that my heart felt like it would explode if I didn't just start crying.
This tearing up thing has been going on in me for quite a while. So I am my own expert as to what is going on inside me. Once I can get past the embarrassment that I am crying again, I get to a point of peace. Peace that says you were worth what God was willing to sacrifice kind of peace. Unfortunately, sometimes I squash the moment because of my selfish pride. Missing out on what God was showing me seems to be punishment enough for my lack of obedience.
Beyond the peace of the experience is understanding. What it is, I am not sure of all the time, it's just knowing beyond any shadow of a doubt that God is all around me. Other times when I am in tune its getting more of a knowledge of who God is. Or who Jesus is, or what the Holy Spirit is doing. And if I can get past myself and just sit in Their presence...oh my what a place to be.
I am not an outwardly emotional person, and not very charismatic in my response to worship. Today, even though I remained seated, I was standing in my chair arms wide open praising Jesus at the top of my lungs. But I sense that day is coming!
Jeff

No comments: